There are decisions we make in our everyday life that hinder our physical fitness and lower our overall quality of life. Making these simple changes will drastically improve your physical well-being and put you on a road towards better health without extra effort!
- Bring a pedometer along – If you know you have a pedometer with you, you may be more inclined to take more steps. Not only does it motivate you to take the stairs over the elevator, it also gives you a chance to feel proud at the end of the day! Even if you take fewer steps than you think, you can always get back out there for an evening walk at the end of your day! Pedometers inspire us to embrace one of the most efficient and simple forms of exercise… walking.
- Sleep – A concept that is relatively foreign to many people due to newborn children, college finals or depression, sleep is essential in maintaining our health! True, its not always possible to get a good nights sleep in today’s fast-paced living. However, we must make time to rest in order to have more energy to burn fat. Even if you can’t get a full night’s sleep in, small windows for naps during the day or simply resting your eyes can do wonders for your body! If you know that you may not be able to get sleep, schedule a time to “make it up”. Even though you can’t technically make up the sleep you lost Monday night, you can make sure your Thursday is more fruitful.
- Pay Attention to the Size of Your Plate – A big part of weight loss/management involves portion control. This is something that many people can struggle with. However, one very simple thing you can do is simply choose a smaller plate and fill it up. Visually, we see a full plate which sends signals to our brains that we need not go back for 2nds and 3rds. This can really help us understand the true amount of food it takes to fill us up!
- Challenge A Friend – Many people love to exercise with a buddy. It keeps up healthy competition and makes the rewards that much more exciting! So, get together with a friend and make some simple goals weekly or even monthly and see who is better at keeping up. It could be anything from seeing who takes the most steps that week to seeing who sheds the most pounds that month! Reward yourselves by making the loser pay for a dinner out!
- Exercise Through Commercials – Don’t sacrifice watching your favorite tv shows. Just add in some simple exercises during the commercials like push-ups, jumping jacks, sit-ups, etc. Or you can try doing some yoga stretches to keep with the relaxed vibe. Either way, you can watch your favorite shows every night without feeling too guilty about it!
Though there are many other small changes we can make to improve our health, these are extremely basic and provide a good foundation towards bigger changes!